Northwestern Men’s Basketball vs. Binghamton Recap

By Anna Watson

The Northwestern men’s basketball team won their season opener against Binghamton in a close 72-61 game. The Wildcats struggled to get going in the first half, but settled in as the game went on. Boo Buie had a great game, scoring a team-high 27 points. Brooks Barnhizer also had an impressive showing with an 18 point and 13 rebound double-double.

The Bearcats dominated the first half. Three-point shots by Binghamton’s Dan Petcash and Tymu Chenery helped secure an early lead. Northwestern was not far behind, as field goals by Matthew Nicholson, Brooks Barnhizer, and Blake Preston allowed Northwestern to reclaim the lead at 14-12. However, shots by Symir Torrence and Chenery put the Bearcats back in the lead, marking the beginning of their control of the first half. The Wildcats did not do themselves any favors. Northwestern accumulated eight fouls through ten minutes and added a ninth shortly after. Long-range shots by Torrence and Petcash helped extend the lead to eleven over the ‘Cats. A timeout towards the end of the half, however, brought new life to Northwestern. Boo Buie and Ryan Langborg combined for seven points in the three possessions after the stoppage. A block by Brooks Barnhizer and a steal by Matthew Nicholson in the final minutes of the first half helped the Wildcats cut the Binghamton lead to three heading into halftime. 

After a difficult first half, the Wildcats found their footing midway through the second half. The Bearcats looked comfortable early, but a couple of plays gave momentum to the home side. A missed three-point shot by Boo Buie was rebounded by Ryan Langborg, who finished the chance to tie the game at 41. The Wildcats failed to take the lead until nine minutes had gone by in the second half. An alley-oop from Boo Buie to Blake Preston put the ‘Cats within one point. On their next possession, Ryan Langborg hit a two-point jumper to make it 48-47. Langborg’s shot instantly changed the atmosphere in Welsh-Ryan Arena, spurring a 6-0 run to establish a five point lead. The momentum did not stop for the ‘Cats. After taking the lead, Boo Buie exploded for 12 points over the last 10 and a half minutes of the game, helping to secure an 11 point victory. 

After a hard fought victory, Northwestern will be back on the court on November 10 to take on Dayton at Welsh-Ryan Arena.